Tuesday, July 3, 2012

This was a really fun commission that was also a gift.  The client was gifting this to his wife, whose father had died while she was young.  In response she had gathered father figures from the media and the idea was to showcase her as a young girl being protected by all of her pop culture dads.  I thought the idea was so incredibly sweet and touching and the chance to get to draw all these incredible figures had me very excited.  Hopefully the likenesses came out well enough but in case you need help, these bad ass dads include the members of KISS, Tom Selleck in Magnum PI drag, Sting (in his Dune duds), David Bowie in some sorta Ziggy Stardust outfit of my own creation and the one and only Harrison Ford, aka Han Solo.  There are saucer's in the background to suggest impending danger and all the men are striking protective action poses.  I had so much fun with this piece :).

1 comment:

glory breitweiser said...

I am said wife and must say, this brought me to tears. baby tears. loud, boohooingsobby, baby tears. it is first, the most personal gift I have ever received and second, painted so perfectly! you did a little girls imagination the justice little girls imagination's deserve. actually, you showed my imagination, imagination. I am in love with it almost as much as I am in love with my husband. it would be the first piece of art I'd grab if there was a fire and coincidentally, it's hung over our fireplace. ! you know, in that place of honor. can't thank you either of you enough.
but thank you. thankyouthankyou.