Monday, November 30, 2009

Voodoo Girl and Disordered




Two new pieces! The first one was an illustration for a Tim Burton poem titled "Voodoo Girl." It's basically about a girl with pins in her heart and 5 zombie guards, and how she can't get close to anyone lest the pins dig deeper into her heart.

The second piece was for my television class. We had to come up with a show and pitch like a studio head. To fancy up our presentation, I created a poster for our fake show and even went so far as to cast actual actors in the roles. The show "Disordered" is basically about a daughter busted for a DUI. When her parents stage an intervention on her, the therapist they enlist to help ends up prescribing them all group therapy sessions to deal with their obvious disfunctionality.

I had a blast with both pieces, but am still struggling to find my voice with my work. I've received a critique that some of my works are too reminiscent of other's styles, so I really am trying to come up with a vocabulary in my art that is unique to me. Hopefully, it will come in some moment of clarity. I will keep you posted.

3 comments:

despairigus said...

I like what you've been doing with textures, Kevin. Have you tried exploring thicker lines in areas, too? Try doing a drawing or two with a dip pen, and do them quickly to see what happens.

-Max

A-Game said...

also, try crayons and markers. i think it would be fun.

eho said...

I love both pieces so much.