Monday, January 28, 2008





Pictured above are two versions of my latest Illustration 3 assignment. The top one is obviously the finish and the bottom one is the line version. The assignment was to create a composition based on an anthropomorphic or familiar entity that we felt best described some aspect of ourselves. I chose the fox, for its quietness and thoughtfulness and also because I simply find them to be beautiful and fascinating creatures.

I started with the concept of me carving a fox out of wood with a knife (like old school status yo) and the shavings would cascade down and form a fox like spirit at my feet. However after much deliberation I opted for this close view, much more intimate, my teacher felt.

I drew the initial drawing on bristol board smooth press and inked it with some black ink and a nib pen. I scanned the drawing into Photoshop along with a background that I physically painted with acrylic paint. I then had to seperate the line work from the white background and I changed it to a dark rusty brown color instead of the original black. I thought it would give it a much richer look and be much more interesting.

I pieced the two together and colored the drawing in Corel Painter using the oil pastels. I had originally wanted to use digital watercolor but found the process for making it look right too time constraining. Overall I am very happy with the outcome and I love the clean lines I was able to create with the pen and ink. Thoughts?

2 comments:

Carey Anthony said...

You are amazingly talented. I can't even draw a stick figure. I've really enjoyed looking at all of these. I'm glad I came across you on FB. Happy Holidays!

Alex said...

one of the best self-portraits i've seen!